Saturday, January 22, 2011

Scouting Pow Wow


Scouting Pow Wow
Originally uploaded by Dowbiggin
I spent my entire Saturday at the University of Scouting, as I am a Cub Scout leader. When I was taking some pictures (with my iPhone) of the teepee, this young man was kind enough to stop to pose. He was one of a number of young people decked out in Native American regalia as part of today's education/celebration.

One of the things I learned early in the day yesterday is that our brand-new, very small Pack (14 boys, grades 1-3) is barely a fledgling Scouting unit. There are so many huge Packs with multiple Dens at each level (Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos I, Webelos II). I started to feel really isolated and discouraged. I heard about Pack Committees that consisted of a number of people, whereas I alone AM our Pack Committee right now. I heard about Cubmasters of Packs so large they did not know all the boys' names, Assistant Cubmasters, Den Leaders, Assistant Den Leaders.

We have nothing like this kind of structure. The afternoon went a little better for me and I got some real positives out of all six sessions I attended throughout the day. I came away from the entire experience feeling that I need to help each adult in our Pack find his or her special role. And EVERYONE gets a job. Now, after some work I need to get done for another responsibility of mine, I just need to make a list of adults and jobs and help each one find the perfect fit.

No comments: