Tuesday, January 08, 2013

How to Know Another Person


I posted this almost exactly a year ago on Facebook, and when someone I know "liked" it today, it brought it back to my attention.

There is someone I know who should read this.

How to Know Another Person

by Diane Speake Main on Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 2:51pm ·

I read this article and decided I wanted to answer these questions myself.  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/unthinking/201112/how-know-another-person

1. What trait of yours do you most appreciate, and why?
I think I most appreciate that I care about the people I love, and I try to show them.  So often, I feel completely isolated.  I never want someone I love to feel that way when I am right here.

2. What trait do you wish you could change?
I worry too much, and that actually translates into me worrying about and imagining up so many possibilities and assuming bad things.  When I don't hear from someone, I assume something bad has happened or somehow we've fallen out and I'm clueless.

3. What trait do you most admire in others?
Honesty.  It doesn't have to be brutal, but never EVER lie to me.

4. What is your idea of a perfect day?
Sunshine, but not too hot.  Outdoors, but not too dirty or far from plumbing.  With someone or several someones who like me as I am, value what I bring to the relationship, and love food and laughter as much as I do.

5. What is your biggest dream?
I want to make a difference in the lives of a lot of people.  I want to do that by helping other educators make learning exciting and fun and adventurous.

6. What do you most dislike?
I need alone time to get things done, but I absolutely HATE feeling alone.  When I feel like, even surrounded by other people, no one really gets me or what I am feeling, I feel so isolated and sad.

7. What is your favorite word, and why did you choose it?
Bufanda.  It's the Spanish word for scarf, and it's just a really fun word to say.

8. Do you believe in God?
Yes. And He believes in you.  And me.  WAY more than I ever will.

9. Do you believe in heaven? If yes, how do you describe it?
Yes. Heaven is being surrounded by God and all that is good, in a way we can't even imagine inside our puny human minds.  Heaven is knowing all you ever need to know, and not really caring about all those things that seemed important when you were alive.  Heaven is where my Dad knows how I feel, even though I never got to tell him again before he died. 

10. What person or persons have inspired you, and what about them inspired you?
I'm always inspired by young people who do something extraordinary for their time and age, without regard for how the world might discount them because they haven't "arrived" yet.  I'm way past the point in my life where I could make that kind of an inspiring impression on someone like me.

No comments: